SIMAUDIO’S NEW MOON Neo 430HA headphone amplifier is billed as a “genuine tour de force loaded with numerous state-of-the-art features”. At $4700 + $1100 for the optional built-in DAC, it’s certainly a premium product.
The Neo 430HA borrow various technologies from Moon’s more exotic and costlier Evolution series (M-LoVo, M-eVOL2). It’s a fully balanced, pure analogue design including an output stage that uses a discrete transconductance circuit topology, selectable gain setting (14 or 20dB), an oversized power supply and a defeatable analogue crossfeed circuit. Rated at 667mW at 600 ohms and 8W at 50 ohms, the Neo 430HA is said to be able to effortlessly drive any headphone to its full potential.
The optional DSD256 and 32-bit PCM capable DAC can be used with virtually any digital source such as a computer for streaming music, satellite TV receiver or Blu-ray player. The Neo also offers 12V triggers and an RS-232 port for custom-install environments. It’s available in three different finishes: the standard “all black”, as well as special order “all silver” or “2-tone” (black & silver).
Neo 430HA Technical Features
· Defeatable analogue Crossfeed circuit for better ‘spacialisation’ and listening comfort
· Balanced Outputs hidden behind sliding front panel window (2x 3-pin XLR, 1x 4-pin XLR), as well as a 1/4-inch TRS jack, and both fixed & variable line-level single-ended RCA stereo pairs
· An oversized power supply using 2 toroidal transformers in conjunction with 8 stages of DC voltage regulation
· 4 stages of M-LoVo (MOON Low Voltage) DC regulation circuit; a highly sophisticated circuit that is virtually free of noise, yielding an exceptionally fast, precise, and stable DC voltage. This circuit, found in the Evolution series 810LP Phono Preamplifier and 740P Preamplifier, results in a power supply with a virtually unmeasureable noise floor
· M-eVOL2 volume control circuit using MDACs (operating in a current steering R-2R configuration) which alter the audio signal’s amplitude, yielding no sonic degradation of the signal, regardless of the selected volume setting. This circuit, found in the Evolution series 600i & 700i Integrated Amplifiers and 740P Preamplifier, offers 530 steps and channel matching of 0.1dB
· 1 balanced XLR input and 3 single-ended line-level inputs, including a front-mounted 1/8-inch mini-jack for personal media players
· Optional DAC with four (4) digital inputs (S/PDIF x 2, TosLink x 1 & USB x 1) allowing for use with virtually any digital source; Supports DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256 (USB input only); Supports PCM 16/44.4kHz to 24/192kHz (all inputs) and up to PCM 32/384kHz (USB input only)
· EuP compatible eco-friendly power (less than 0.5W) in standby mode with defeatable 20 minutes inactivity “auto shut off”
· 12 Volt trigger output for remote operations
· RS-232 port for full unsolicited bidirectional feedback and firmware updates
· IR input for external control
· SimLink controller port for 2-way communications with other compatible MOON components
· Rigid chassis construction to minimise the effects of external vibrations
· Optimised selection of very high quality electronic components
· Low operating temperature for an ultra-long life expectancy
· Includes CRM-2 remote control
Units are 8-10 weeks away.